
An accidental explosion in an arms depot shook central Kabul on Thursday before Afghan officials moved quickly to allay fears of an attack on the city that has often been targeted by militants. The loud blast erupted close to the NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) headquarters and in an area of the capital that houses many embassies and international institutions. ISAF confirmed that the blast occurred outside their headquarters, while the US embassy sounded its emergency "duck and cover" sirens to warn employees to seek shelter. "It was an accident, not an enemy act," Lutfullah Mashal, an official from the National Directorate of Security (NDS) intelligence agency, told AFP. "The blast happened in a depot for unexploded ordinance. It was totally an accident. There is no reported casualties, but there are some damages." An NDS spokesman told local television that the blast happened in an NDS depot that contained explosives, unexploded bombs and suicide vests seized from insurgents. The interior ministry also confirmed the explosion was an accident. The blast came the day after a Taliban suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle near a NATO military convoy entering Kabul airport, killing himself but causing no other deaths or injuries. The airport houses another NATO base as well as operating civilian flights to cities including Dubai, New Delhi and Istanbul. Flights were delayed only briefly after the bomb exploded. The Taliban, who regularly exaggerate casualty numbers, claimed responsibility via their main Twitter account for that attack, saying 10 soldiers had been killed or injured. Kabul has seen a recent drop in insurgent attacks after a series of high-profile strikes earlier this year, with the NDS claiming to have foiled several plots to launch complex strikes involving truck bombs and suicide gunmen. A series of attacks earlier this year targeted foreign compounds, the Supreme Court, the airport and the presidential palace in the city. Source: AFP
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor