
A string of attacks in eastern Libya has killed a public prosecutor and three members of the security forces in less than 24 hours, judicial and medical sources said on Saturday. Since the ouster of veteran dictator Moamer Kadhafi in October 2011, eastern Libya has been hit by a wave of bombings and shootings, mostly targeting security officials. Prosecutor Mohamed al-Naass was killed in the town of Derna on Saturday when an explosive device attached to his car detonated, a judicial source told AFP. Naass was responsible for the "Al-Jabal Al-Akhdar region, east of Benghazi," the source said. In Benghazi, Libya's second city, gunmen driving past an army checkpoint shot dead two special forces soldiers late on Friday, Al-Jala hospital spokeswoman Fadia al-Barghathi told AFP. Barghathi added that the body of a police lieutenant colonel, Sherif al-Ajili, had been brought to the hospital late on Friday, and that he had been "killed by a gunshot wound to the head". Troops and police have beefed up their presence in Benghazi to try to check the attacks, although so far their presence has done little to stop the violence. Libya's government has struggled to stamp its authority as militias of ex-rebels have carved their own fiefdoms in a country flooded with weapons looted from Kadhafi's arsenal. Violence and insecurity have also hit the capital this week. Two people were killed and 29 others wounded in clashes between rival militias in Tripoli on Thursday, the latest incident in a wave of violence that is terrorising residents and underlines the country's instability. Source: AFP
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor