Hundreds of Egyptian riot police stormed out of their camp and cut off a desert highway out of Cairo following reports that an officer had killed one of their colleagues, state media reported on Monday. “Senior security officials have managed to contain the crisis involving conscripts in the Central Security Forces who cut the Cairo-Ismailiya desert road,” on Saturday, the state-owned al-Ahram said, in a rare report of any dissent within interior ministry ranks. A security official confirmed to AFP that hundreds of CSF conscripts had stormed out of the “January 25” camp and took to the streets. But the official denied that a CSF conscript had been killed, and said the protest had been fueled by “a rumour”. Video footage shot by a driver on the highway apparently shows the conscripts, in civilian clothes, walking through the streets chanting against the police. One of the men tells the camera he is protesting because “an officer shot a conscript,” in the footage posted on the Internet. According to al-Ahram, “an officer in the Central Security Forces attacked one of the conscripts... leading to a fight between the two, which prompted a rumour among the conscripts that their colleague had been killed.” Military police as well as riot police were called in to disperse the protest, al-Ahram reported. The poorly paid and badly trained CSF troops are the branch of the interior ministry deployed mainly to control protests and riots. The CSF was heavily involved in trying to quell the protests during the first days of the uprising that ousted president Hosni Mubarak last year, before the army was deployed. The last major CSF rebellion was in 1986, when thousands took to the streets in violent protests in Cairo following rumours that their service would be extended.
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor