The head of the European Union mission monitoring Algeria's upcoming legislative polls on Wednesday denied accusations of spying made by an Islamist party official. "We are here as part of a friendly mission and upon the request of the Algerian authorities. We are not spies," Jose Ignacio Salafranca told a press conference here. Abderrahmane Saidi, a high-ranking official from the Islamist Movement for Society and Peace (MSP) had said earlier this week that "two European observers, a Hungarian woman and a Greek man, overstepped their brief." He said the pair "had asked questions that have nothing to do with the elections" during visits in the southern districts of Ouargla, Ghardaia and Laghouat. Saidi's party is a former partner in the presidential alliance -- which consists of the National Liberation Front (FLN) and the National Rally for Democracy (RND) -- but is still part of the government. Algeria holds polls on May 10 which will see 44 parties -- half of them newly created -- vie for the national assembly's 462 seats in what President Abdelaziz Bouteflika's regime presents as a key step in ongoing democratic reform. The Arabic-language daily Ennahar reported Wednesday that Algerian intelligence had launched an investigation into two observers from the EU mission "for espionage" but described them as Polish and Greek. Salafranca insisted his team of 150 monitors was operating within the law. He added that he had asked Interior Minister Dahou Ould Kablia for the voters roll, which critics charge is riddled with irregularities. Salafranca said the two-month observation mission was costing the EU 3.5 million euros ($4.6 million). A preliminary statement on the election will be issued within 48 hours of the ballot and a longer report within three months. A total of 500 foreign observers are expected to monitor voting next week, including a 200-strong contingent dispatched by the African Union.
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor