The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is appealing for an extra $27m (£17m) to fund its operation in Syria until the end of this year. The ICRC, the only international aid agency working inside Syria, says hundreds of thousands of people remain in need. Despite the ceasefire which came into force last month, the humanitarian needs remain enormous, it says. In the latest violence, activists said two civilians died in Idlib province. While some parts of Syria have seen intermittent periods of calm, in many other areas, there has been no let-up in the violence, the ICRC says. On Sunday, activists said troops had killed three people in the eastern province of Deir al-Zor. There was also reportedly fighting in Hama and Idlib provinces. The ICRC says gaining unrestricted access to conflict areas is a top priority. It hopes to: provide food for 100,000 people, supply basic household items for 25,000, and to restore public services such as water and electricity to 1.5 million. But the agreement of the Syrian authorities will be needed too, it says, adding it is encouraged by recent discussions with both government and opposition forces. Life for aid workers in Syria remains very risky: the head of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent and two Red Crescent volunteers have already been killed in the conflict. On Sunday, parliamentary elections, promised last year by president Bashar al-Assad, were held - the first in 40 years not to guarantee a majority for the ruling Baath Party. Opposition groups dismissed them as a sham, calling for a boycott.
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor