
Mortar rounds struck an Iraqi army base west of Baghdad on Monday, killing four officers and two soldiers, security officials said. A brigade commander was among the dead in the attack, which took place in the Abu Ghraib area, the sources said. The deaths came two days after five senior officers, including a division commander, and 10 soldiers were killed during an operation against militants in the mainly Sunni western province of Anbar. Violence in Iraq has reached a level not seen since 2008, when the country was just emerging from a brutal period of sectarian killings. On Sunday, Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki said that a Sunni Arab anti-government protest camp in Anbar had become a "headquarters for the leadership of Al-Qaeda," calling on legitimate protesters to leave before security forces move in. Protests broke out late last year in Sunni-majority areas of Iraq, where people complain of being both marginalised by the Shiite-led government and unjustly targeted by heavy-handed security measures. Experts say that widespread Sunni anger has been a major factor in the heightened unrest this year. Death tolls from violence surged after security forces raided an anti-government protest site near the northern town of Hawijah on April 23, sparking clashes in which dozens died. More than 6,650 people have been killed in Iraq since the beginning of the year, according to AFP figures based on security and medical sources. Source: AFP
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor