
South Sudan's wanted opposition leader Riek Machar on Wednesday denied government accusations he tried to stage a coup, saying the president was using the claim as an excuse to purge political rivals. "What took place in Juba was a misunderstanding between presidential guards within their division, it was not a coup attempt," Machar told the Paris-based Sudan Tribune news website, in his first public comments since fighting broke out on Sunday. Troops loyal to President Salva Kiir have been fighting rival followers of Machar, his former vice president. Kiir has accused the rival camp of staging a coup. "I have no connection with or knowledge of any coup attempt," Machar said, speaking from an undisclosed location to the website's London-based reporter. Machar is one of five senior leaders on the run from government forces. However, several sources suggest he is likely to be still in Juba, although his house has been the scene of heavy fighting. Ten other leaders, including several former ministers, have already been arrested. Machar said he wanted to change the nature of the ruling Sudan People's Liberation Movement (SPLM) party, but had been blocked by Kiir. "What we wanted was to democratically transform the SPLM," Machar added. "But Salva Kiir wanted to use the alleged coup attempt in order to get rid of us to control the government and the SPLM. We don’t want him (as) the president of South Sudan any more." Source: AFP
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor