A verdict in the trial of a Tunisian television station director accused of insulting sacred values for having screened the Franco-Iranian film "Persepolis" is set for Thursday, court sources said. Nabil Karoui's Nessma television station broadcast the award-winning animated film, which recounts the Iranian revolution and its aftermath through the eyes of a young girl, on October 7 last year. But it sparked outrage because of scenes depicting God, whose representation is banned in Islam. Within two days of the broadcast, Islamic militants attacked the television station's offices and Karoui's home during violent demonstrations in Tunis. "The judgment will be historic and will have an effect on the entire region," Kaoui said following a final hearing last week. He added that the ruling would mark "a decisive day for freedom of expression and the press." In late 2010, Tunisian protesters toppled the entreched dictatorship of Zine el Abidine Ben Ali, sparking similar uprisings across the Arab World. A moderate Islamist party called Ennahda won the most seats in October elections, the first since Ben Ali fell. While the party has assured it has no plans to create a extremist religious state, some have voiced fears the Islamist movements within the country, emboldened by the Ennahda victory, may try to restrict free expression and secular values.
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor