
Yemeni troops opened fire on a protest against the army's deadly shelling of a funeral tent erected by the Southern Movement, killing two people on Saturday, an activist said. Four demonstrators were also wounded when the troops opened fire outside the provincial governor's office in the southern town of Daleh, activist Majed Shuaibi told AFP. Hundreds of residents joined the protest against Friday's shelling of the funeral tent, which killed 19 people, four of them children, medical sources said. The Southern Movement -- which is campaigning for autonomy or outright secession of the formerly independent south -- had set up the tent for mourners paying their condolences after a man was killed in clashes with security forces in Daleh on Monday. Those clashes erupted when secessionists tried to storm the governor's office to hoist the flag of the former South Yemen. The fighting left two policemen and a civilian dead. In a statement, the supreme council of the Southern Movement headed by prominent activist Hassan Baoum, said: "The horrific massacre that the Yemeni occupation regime has committed... affirms the need for the people of the south to take up arms in face of the genocide it is committing" against them. After British colonial rule ended in 1967, southern Yemen was independent until union with the north in 1990. A secession attempt four years later sparked a brief but bloody civil war that ended with northern forces taking over the south. Southern grievances have hindered the political transition following the 33-year rule of Ali Abdullah Saleh, who stepped down last year following Arab Spring-inspired protests. Source: AFP
GMT 12:28 2018 Friday ,31 August
Algeria, reaffirm support to Sahrawi and Palestinian peoplesGMT 11:54 2018 Friday ,31 August
Second mine explodes in Mghilla 'Four soldiers wounded'GMT 11:30 2018 Friday ,31 August
UNSMIL condemns escalation of Violence in Great Tripoli areaGMT 11:15 2018 Friday ,31 August
Morocco, U.S Committed to Fighting Terrorism 'US Official'GMT 16:27 2018 Thursday ,30 August
PPS Considers Withdrawing from Ruling Coalition amid Tension with PJDGMT 15:34 2018 Thursday ,30 August
3 Bunkers, 4 homemade bombs discovered, destroyed in SkikdaGMT 15:10 2018 Thursday ,30 August
AU's Decision to Support UN-led Process, 'Big Win" for MoroccoGMT 12:47 2018 Thursday ,30 August
Cuba backed Polisario by providing military aid to Algeria
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor