Algeria on Saturday formally denied that a convoy of armoured cars that could be carrying top Libyan regime officials had crossed its borders. "This information is baseless and we deny it categorically," the foreign ministry said following a report by Egypt's official news agency. The unconfirmed MENA report said six armoured Mercedes had Friday morning entered Ghadames, quoting a Libyan military council source in the town on the border with Algeria. The source was quoted as saying the convoy had been escorted by pro-government troops until it entered Algeria. Rebels had not been able to pursue the vehicles as they lacked munitions and equipment. "We think they (the cars) were carrying high Libyan officials, possibly (Moamer) Kadhafi and his sons," the source said. Kadhafi has been on the run since the rebels took the Libyan capital Tripoli earlier this week. An Algerian border official earlier said the reported crossing was unlikely as no such sighting had been reported by local residents, although he confirmed the border post of Debdeb in the Ghadames area was open. Libya's rebel government prime minister Mahmud Jibril, in Cairo for talks with his Egyptian counterpart Essam Sharaf and military ruler Hussein Tantawi, said the report was "unconfirmed". "Nothing is confirmed," he told reporters after his meetings. NATO declined to confirm or deny the reported crossing "As a matter of policy, we do not comment on intelligence matters," Colonel Roland Lavoie, the spokesman of the NATO mission in Libya, told AFP in an email. Algeria declined to recognise the Libyan rebels' National Transitional Council on Friday, insisting it would adhere to the policy of "strict neutrality" adopted since the start of the conflict.
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor