Britain is against the execution of Libya's Muammar Gaddafi, but his fate should be decided by the Libyan people, the Evening Standard quoted Cabinet minister Andrew Mitchell as saying. As the Gaddafi regime nears final collapse, the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, which has a permanent tribunal set up to prosecute war crimes, is pushing for the arrest of Gaddafi, his son Seif al-Islam and his son-in-law Abdullah Senussi. They are suspected of orchestrating attacks on civilians during the uprising that began in Libya in February. French President Nicolas Sarkozy and the British Prime Minister, David Cameron agreed following the "Friends of Libya" international conference in Paris on September 1, to prosecute Gaddafi in Libya without sending him to the Hague Court. Libya's new government, the National Transitional Council (NTC) said previously that the 69-year-old leader would be prosecuted in an "open trial" in Libya, which is likely to result in his execution. "People will have different views on the issue of the death penalty but it's a matter for the Libyan people and their new government, the National Transitional Council," Mitchell, Britain's International Development Secretary, told the Evening Standard. He stressed that Britain stuck to its official position opposing using the death penalty. The whereabouts of the Libyan leader remains unknown, despite the rebels placing a bounty of $1.7 million on his head. The rebels now control 95 percent of the oil-rich country's territory. In February, they formed a National Transitional Council led by former Justice Minister Mustafa Abdul Jalil. About 45 countries including Russia have recognized the legitimacy of the council.
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor