Israel's army chief ordered extra troops to borders with Egypt and the southern Gaza Strip on Monday, citing a "concrete warning" of an impending attack by Islamic Jihad, a statement said. Israeli Chief of the General Staff Benny Gantz made the decision in coordination with Egypt, according to an Israeli army statement. Members of the Gaza-based Islamic Jihad group are in Sinai planning an attack on Israel, Haaretz reported Monday, citing security sources. Islamic Jihad said it had agreed to a ceasefire deal with Israel on Friday after a previous truce broke down when Israeli forces killed two Islamic Jihad militants, and the faction launched projectiles across the border. Violence had renewed after a series of deadly ambushes near the southern Israeli city of Eilat on August 18, which Israel blamed on Gaza factions. Israeli forces pursued attackers over the southern border into Egypt's Sinai region, killing five Egyptian troops, and prompting a diplomatic crisis. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday Israel would consider Egyptian requests for additional forces in the peninsula, currently limited by the terms of the 1979 peace accord between the countries. Defense Minister Ehud Barak had said earlier that "several" requests had already been approved since the fall of former president Hosni Mubarak in February.
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor