Israel filed criminal charges on Thursday against a man who stoned the Egyptian consulate in Eilat, near the site of an attack by border infiltrators last month that strained relations between the two countries. David Macmill, 24, was drunk when he pelted the compound in the Red Sea port on Sunday and voiced regret after being arrested, his lawyer said. He faces a maximum of four years in jail on charges of "harming the flag or symbol of a friendly country" and "attempting to cause damage with malice", according to the indictment served at southern Beersheba Magistrate's Court. "He has no political objective, nor animosity toward the consul," the lawyer, Tamar Olman, said. "It seems as though the Egyptian flag simply caught his eye." Gunmen described by Israel as Palestinians who had come in through the Egyptian Sinai struck outside Eilat on Aug. 18, killing eight people. Israeli forces killed seven of the gunmen in clashes that also killed five Egyptian border troops. Egypt recalled its ambassador in protest. The Israeli indictment said after throwing the first stone and being challenged by two members of staff, Macmill asked them whether the building was the Egyptian mission. When they said yes, he threw two more stones and used foul language. El-Sayid Nabil, Egypt's vice-consul in Eilat, confirmed that his staff had spotted Macmill stoning the mission and alerted police, who arrested the Israeli. An Egyptian diplomat said there were no injuries in the incident. Israel has voiced regret for the deaths of the Egyptian personnel last month and Cairo has been mounting security sweeps of the Sinai. Egypt signed a peace treaty with Israel in 1979. Israel fears Cairo could lose its grip on the desert peninsula after President Hosni Mubarak was toppled in February.
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor