British forces have so far hit more than 900 targets in the campaign to protect Libyan civilians from the Gaddafi regime, the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) disclosed Saturday. The latest strikes came during armed reconnaissance patrols yesterday against buildings in Bani Walid which had been used by Muammar Gaddafi's forces as a military vehicle depot. At least 910 targets, including secret police headquarters and command bunkers, had been damaged or destroyed since operations began in March, the MoD said. The latest update on the input of UK forces to the Nato campaign came after Prime Minister David Cameron insisted yesterday that Britain had punched "above our weight" in Libya. There have been continued claims that the mission has exposed the limits of British military resources in the wake of controversial defence cuts. MoD spokesman Major General Nick Pope said the RAF had been patrolling areas where civilians remained "subject to the oppression of Colonel Gaddafi's remaining troops". Tornado jets had destroyed three targets, making up the vehicle depot, using Paveway laser and GPS guided bombs. "Since the start of military operations on March 19, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force and Army Air Corps strikes have damaged or destroyed over 910 targets that were being used by Gaddafi's former regime to threaten the Libyan people, ranging from secret police headquarters and command bunkers to tanks, rocket launchers and armed trucks," he said. Pressure was intensifying on ousted dictator Gaddafi today as rebels prepared for a final showdown. They were still hoping he may surrender without a fight but the fugitive continued to issue warlike statements. Although remaining in hiding, he issued a defiant appeal to his supporters yesterday to continue to fight. Meanwhile, Cameron yesterday hit out at the "armchair generals" who had doubted Britain's capacity to intervene in Libya, insisting they had been proved wrong. "A lot of armchair generals who said you couldn't do it without an aircraft carrier, they were wrong," he said. "A lot of people who said Tripoli is completely different to Benghazi, the two don't get on, they were wrong. People who said this is all going to be an enormous swamp of Islamists and extremists, they were wrong. People who said we were going to run out of munitions, they were wrong."
GMT 16:26 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Cuba Start 'Unprecedented and Historic Era' in their RelationsGMT 16:13 2018 Wednesday ,29 August
Morocco, Dominican Republic Discuss Means to Promote CooperationGMT 18:51 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Tensions mount in Rohingya camps ahead of planned relocation to MyanmarGMT 18:47 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Macron shares African outrage on Trump’s vulgar languageGMT 18:41 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Jordan urges Pence to rebuild trust after Jerusalem pivotGMT 18:37 2018 Sunday ,21 January
UN Security Council to discuss Syria on MondayGMT 18:23 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Iraqi court sentences to death German woman who joined DaeshGMT 18:19 2018 Sunday ,21 January
Turkish state media say Turkey’s ground forces have entered Syrian Kurdish enclave
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor