
Stuart Pearce's reign as England Under-21 coach came to an end on Tuesday as it was announced he would not be offered a new contract following the side's humiliating first round exit at the UEFA U-21 Championship earlier this month. The 51-year-old former England defender has been in charge for six years guiding them to the 2007 semi-finals and the 2009 final where they lost heavily to a German side that contained the likes of Mesut Ozil and Sami Khedira. However, two successive group stage exits since then have prompted the change despite Pearce receiving some sympathy for having several key players unavailable. Pearce was also heavily critical of the players he did take to Israel where they lost all three group games to Norway, Israel and Italy, who lost 4-2 to Spain in the final on Tuesday. It was something of a comedown after they had entered the finals unbeaten since November 2011 and having not conceded a goal in their last nine matches. "I'd like to thank Stuart Pearce for his hard work," said departing FA chairman David Bernstein. "Nobody can doubt his commitment to the job throughout his time as Under-21 coach. "He has done extremely well in qualifying for finals tournaments, but after the disappointment of the past two tournaments we believe it is time to change coach. "On behalf of everyone at the FA, I'd like to wish Stuart well for the future." The FA said no decision has been made on Pearce's successor. Former Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate - the bookmakers' favourite - and ex-England boss Glenn Hoddle have been linked with the post. Michael Appleton, who worked with England manager Roy Hodgson and FA director of elite development Dan Ashworth at West Bromwich Albion, and recently-retired Everton midfielder Phil Neville, who was part of Pearce's backroom staff in Israel, are other possible candidates. Source: fifa.com
GMT 17:21 2018 Monday ,08 January
Play abandoned in South Africa v India TestGMT 17:18 2018 Monday ,08 January
Play abandoned in South Africa v India TestGMT 15:43 2018 Sunday ,07 January
Hackers already targeting Pyeongchang OlympicsGMT 15:38 2018 Sunday ,07 January
India's Pandya defies South African bowlersGMT 18:23 2018 Thursday ,04 January
Russian doping whistleblower free to pass evidence to FIFAGMT 12:08 2018 Thursday ,04 January
Pep Guardiola fears Man City stars in danger over fixture pile-upGMT 22:26 2018 Wednesday ,03 January
Mohamed Salah favorite to complete awards hat-trickGMT 16:12 2017 Tuesday ,26 December
Russian-Syrian basketball festival held at Damascus
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor