
South Korean tycoon Chung Mong-Joon formally announced Monday he was withdrawing from the race for the FIFA presidency due to an "unjust" ban from the sport.
On his newly-launched blog, mjfairplay.com, Chung said the ban handed down by FIFA's independent ethics committee had forced him to miss the October 26 deadline for filing his candidacy.
"Because of the committee's unjust sanctions... it is now time to officially withdraw my candidacy for the next FIFA president," he wrote.
The scion of the Hyundai family was found to have contravened rules while lobbying for South Korea's bid for the 2022 World Cup, which was awarded to Qatar in 2010.
He was banned for six years by the ethics committee, which also suspended FIFA head Sepp Blatter, secretary-general Jerome Valcke and UEFA president Michel Platini for 90 days.
Reiterating denials of any wrongdoing, Chung said he had been subjected to "constant harassment" and unjust "persecution" from the moment he announced he was a candidate to replace Blatter.
"As FIFA leaked information to the media, portraying me as an unethical person, I felt I was left naked, helpless to defend myself, as they repeatedly cut me with a sharp knife," he wrote.
Chung had petitioned a Swiss court for an injunction against the ban so that he could maintain his candidacy pending his appeal to FIFA's appeal committee and to the Lausanne-based Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
But the court rejected his petition.
Source: AFP
GMT 18:30 2017 Tuesday ,26 December
FIFA trial: New York jury acquits former Peru soccer bossGMT 13:18 2017 Tuesday ,26 December
Early drama as Sydney to Hobart fleet race to break recordGMT 20:25 2017 Monday ,25 December
Klopp urges Liverpool to focus on Euro ambitionsGMT 18:35 2017 Monday ,25 December
Mutko suspends Russian football role to fight Olympic lifetime banGMT 10:11 2017 Monday ,25 December
Federer, Nadal shine as rivals hobble into 2018GMT 19:22 2017 Sunday ,24 December
Southampton's Austin charged with violent conductGMT 18:02 2017 Sunday ,24 December
'Tongan Bear' Uhila extends Clermont contractGMT 17:07 2017 Sunday ,24 December
Serena Williams to make competitive return in Abu Dhabi next week
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor