
The insurgent Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) on Friday called for a dialogue to resolve the current border tensions between Colombia and Venezuela.
"It is best to seek, through constructive and sincere dialogue, the normalization of the situation along the border," said rebel spokesman Jesus Santrich, reading a statement shortly before the start of another round of negotiations between the FARC and the government of President Juan Manuel Santos.
The Venezuelan government ordered last week the temporary closure of two major border crossings with Colombia after a clash with smugglers resulted in serious injury to Venezuelan soldiers.
"As brotherly peoples, we must unite by closing off chances for warmongering...above all, by those who seek, through economic means and other conspiracies to destabilize the legitimate government of President Nicolas Maduro," Santrich said.
The spokesman called for "the sovereignty of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela to be respected," adding that Venezuela is and will remain essential for peace in Colombia.
Paramilitary activities "cannot destroy the bonds of harmony that have historically made Colombia and Venezuela members of the same family," said the statement.
The two countries share a land border of over 2,200 kilometers that has long facilitated paramilitary activities, smuggling, and arms trafficking.
Venezuela, along with Chile, acts as an observer to the peace talks, which have been held since November 2012 in Havana between the FARC and the Colombian government.
Source: XINHUA
GMT 09:59 2017 Monday ,25 December
Turkey joins Russia and Iran in supporting SyriaGMT 09:05 2017 Monday ,25 December
Russia’s Lavrov calls on US and North Korea to start talksGMT 15:16 2017 Wednesday ,01 November
Spanish Police Arrest Moroccan Citizen Allegedly Belonging to ISISGMT 10:36 2017 Wednesday ,01 November
Manhattan truck attack kills 8, note on allegiance to ISIS discoveredGMT 20:15 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
Egypt backs Bahrain's security decisionGMT 19:59 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
Arab Parliament condemns terror attack in BahrainGMT 14:48 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
10 terror suspects sentenced to life in jailGMT 16:55 2017 Sunday ,29 October
Under US pressure, Israel delays move to expand Jerusalem
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor