
Israeli security cabinet approved on Thursday several measures to fight stone-throwing Palestinians in Jerusalem.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened on Thursday afternoon the Israeli security cabinet, a forum of top ministers, in order to vote on various measures aimed to deter stone throwers.
"A short while ago, the cabinet voted unanimously to adopt a number of decisions amid our battle against rock and firebomb throwers," Netanyahu said, according to a statement issued by his office.
According to the approved measures, policemen would be allowed to open sniper fire from 0.22 caliber rifles in life-threatening situations, instead of rubber bullets, as was the custom up until now.
Furthermore, the cabinet approved to impose minimum sentences of four years in prison for adults throwing firebombs, stones or other objects. Fines would also be imposed on parents of stone-throwing youth.
"We intend to change the norm established here, that in the state of Israel you can throw the deadliest items without any response," Netanyahu added.
Following the authorization of the security cabinet, the government would work on quick legislation that would incorporate these measures in a law.
Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein, who serves as the legal adviser to the government, at first approved the measures and their legality, but last week expressed his objections to them.
Weinstein suggested on Sunday to impose minimum sentences for a one-year trial period, and objected to live sniper fire and fining the parents of stone-throwing youth.
Despite Weinstein's objection, Netanyahu and Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked said they will go on with the harsh legislation.
"The prime minister is determined to have his plan passed in the cabinet and in quick legislation," the prime minister's office told the Ha'aretz daily on Wednesday.
Stone throwing by Palestinians, especially in East Jerusalem, became nearly a daily event. One incident resulted in the death of a Jew, who lost control of his car after it was pelted with stones.
Tensions rose in the past several months in Jerusalem and the West Bank amid the standstill in the peace talks and strife over the site of Temple Mount in east Jerusalem, holy to both Jews and Muslims.
Clashes took place around the site with dozens of injuries and Palestinians arrested, along with the militant attacks and clashes between Palestinians and Israeli security services, throughout Jerusalem and the West Bank.
Source: XINHUA
GMT 09:59 2017 Monday ,25 December
Turkey joins Russia and Iran in supporting SyriaGMT 09:05 2017 Monday ,25 December
Russia’s Lavrov calls on US and North Korea to start talksGMT 15:16 2017 Wednesday ,01 November
Spanish Police Arrest Moroccan Citizen Allegedly Belonging to ISISGMT 10:36 2017 Wednesday ,01 November
Manhattan truck attack kills 8, note on allegiance to ISIS discoveredGMT 20:15 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
Egypt backs Bahrain's security decisionGMT 19:59 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
Arab Parliament condemns terror attack in BahrainGMT 14:48 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
10 terror suspects sentenced to life in jailGMT 16:55 2017 Sunday ,29 October
Under US pressure, Israel delays move to expand Jerusalem
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor