
North and South Korea wrapped up marathon talks Tuesday with an agreement aimed at defusing a crisis that had pushed the two rivals to the brink of armed conflict.
The South's lead negotiator, National Security Adviser Kim Kwan-Jin, said the North had agreed to a key demand to voice "regret" over recent mine blasts at the border that maimed two South Korean soldiers.
In response, the South conditionally undertook to halt loudspeaker propaganda broadcasts into North Korea.
The two also agreed to work towards a resumption next month of reunions for families separated by the 1950-53 Korean War, Kim told reporters.
The negotiations in the border truce village of Panmunjom had played out against a dangerous military stand-off, which triggered a rare artillery exchange over the border last week and saw North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un order his frontline troops onto a war-footing.
The talks had begun early Saturday evening, shortly after the passing of a North Korean deadline for Seoul to halt its propaganda broadcasts or face military action.
GMT 09:59 2017 Monday ,25 December
Turkey joins Russia and Iran in supporting SyriaGMT 09:05 2017 Monday ,25 December
Russia’s Lavrov calls on US and North Korea to start talksGMT 15:16 2017 Wednesday ,01 November
Spanish Police Arrest Moroccan Citizen Allegedly Belonging to ISISGMT 10:36 2017 Wednesday ,01 November
Manhattan truck attack kills 8, note on allegiance to ISIS discoveredGMT 20:15 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
Egypt backs Bahrain's security decisionGMT 19:59 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
Arab Parliament condemns terror attack in BahrainGMT 14:48 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
10 terror suspects sentenced to life in jailGMT 16:55 2017 Sunday ,29 October
Under US pressure, Israel delays move to expand Jerusalem
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor