
Pakistan on Sunday expressed deep concern over the "unprovoked ceasefire violations" by the Indian security forces at the Line of Control (LoC) in the disputed Kashmir region and the offensive posture adopted during the last few days.
The remarks came following the latest escalations along the LoC and the Working Boundary, the international border between the nuclear neighbors.
Both countries blame each other for violation of the 2003 ceasefire agreement.
The Pakistani foreign ministry said in Islamabad early Sunday that Indian troops again "resorted to unprovoked" firing on Saturday, the day when Pakistanis were celebrating the Eid festival.
"Indian troops violated the ceasefire, by opening fire on a front of 11 kilometers at Rawalakot (Nezapir) Poonch sector at LoC, which continued intermittently until 17:45 (Saturday). They used small arms, rockets, mortars and heavy machine gun fire," a foreign ministry spokesman said.
No one was hurt in the latest fire.
"It is deeply regretted that once again the ceasefire violations by the Indian troops are being committed during the Eid holidays, as was done by them last year, when many innocent civilians were martyred," the spokesman said in a statement.
The spokesman referred to the Indian firing on July 15 and 16 which he said "killed four civilians when people were busy preparing for the most happy and sacred occasion of Eid ul Fitr."
Both sides exchanged fire days after Pakistani and Indian prime ministers met in Ufa, Russia, on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Summit and agreed top security officials will meet to reduce the border tensions.
"Pakistan lodges protest at the provocative act, which is against the spirit of the understanding reached at the Ufa meeting, and hopes that the Indian government would observe the understanding reached between the two sides during 2003 to maintain peace and tranquility at the LoC and Working Boundary in the letter and spirit," the ministry said.
GMT 09:59 2017 Monday ,25 December
Turkey joins Russia and Iran in supporting SyriaGMT 09:05 2017 Monday ,25 December
Russia’s Lavrov calls on US and North Korea to start talksGMT 15:16 2017 Wednesday ,01 November
Spanish Police Arrest Moroccan Citizen Allegedly Belonging to ISISGMT 10:36 2017 Wednesday ,01 November
Manhattan truck attack kills 8, note on allegiance to ISIS discoveredGMT 20:15 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
Egypt backs Bahrain's security decisionGMT 19:59 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
Arab Parliament condemns terror attack in BahrainGMT 14:48 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
10 terror suspects sentenced to life in jailGMT 16:55 2017 Sunday ,29 October
Under US pressure, Israel delays move to expand Jerusalem
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor