south korea selects china consortium for sewol ferry salvage
Last Updated : GMT 09:03:51
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today
Last Updated : GMT 09:03:51
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today

South Korea selects China consortium for Sewol ferry salvage

Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today

Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today South Korea selects China consortium for Sewol ferry salvage

Rescue team personnel take part in recovery operations
Seoul - AFP

A Chinese-led consortium was selected Wednesday as the preferred bidder to take on the massive task of raising the South Korean passenger ferry that sank last year with the loss of more than 300 lives, most of them schoolchildren.

The 6,825-tonne Sewol ferry sank off the southwest coast in April 2014. A total of 295 bodies were recovered, but nine remained unaccounted for when divers finally called off the dangerous search of the sunken vessel last November.

The Sewol lies 40 metres (130 feet) down on the sea bed and bringing it to the surface represents a substantial technical challenge. The salvage operation is scheduled to begin in September and take as long as one and a half years.

The Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries said it would begin negotiations next Monday with the consortium involving China's state-run Shanghai Salvage Co. and a South Korean firm, which beat six other competitors including European and US firms.

good marks for its experience in salvaging sunken vessels, including a cruise ship that sank in China's Yangtze River with the loss of more than 400 lives last month, it said.

The ministry said it would talk with the second candidate -- a consortium led by China's state-run China Yantai Salvage -- if negotiations with Shanghai fail.

Shanghai offered to lift the ferry for 85.1 billion won ($74 million) by using a frame built with metal beams on the sea floor instead of drilling holes into its side.

"We regarded Shanghai Salvage's idea as safe ... because the Sewol's hull remains fragile," Yeon Yeong-Jin, a ministry official in charge of salvage, told reporters.

The overloaded Sewol was carrying 476 people, including 325 students from the high school in Ansan, when it sank. Only 75 students survived.

Strong currents and muddy waters at the site of the sunken vessel greatly hampered the search efforts last year, leaving two divers dead and dozens injured.

The families of those still missing had led a campaign for the ferry to be brought to the surface.

The shock accident -- blamed on the ship's illegal redesign and overloading left unchecked by regulators -- prompted calls to overhaul the nation's lax safety standards and tackle deep-rooted corruption.

almaghribtoday
almaghribtoday

Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

south korea selects china consortium for sewol ferry salvage south korea selects china consortium for sewol ferry salvage

 



Name *

E-mail *

Comment Title*

Comment *

: Characters Left

Mandatory *

Terms of use

Publishing Terms: Not to offend the author, or to persons or sanctities or attacking religions or divine self. And stay away from sectarian and racial incitement and insults.

I agree with the Terms of Use

Security Code*

south korea selects china consortium for sewol ferry salvage south korea selects china consortium for sewol ferry salvage

 



Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017

GMT 09:22 2018 Monday ,22 January

Skincare PR Performance Full Year 2017
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today New hunt for flight MH370 gets under way

GMT 11:03 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

New hunt for flight MH370 gets under way
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today Modern colorful bedroom renovation

GMT 10:57 2017 Thursday ,21 December

Modern colorful bedroom renovation
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today Puigdemont candidate for Catalan president

GMT 13:56 2018 Tuesday ,23 January

Puigdemont candidate for Catalan president
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today Turkey detains dozens more

GMT 10:47 2018 Wednesday ,24 January

Turkey detains dozens more

GMT 09:57 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon two

GMT 10:22 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon twelve

GMT 09:58 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon four

GMT 10:18 2016 Wednesday ,23 March

cartoon eight

GMT 05:41 2017 Monday ,16 October

Infograph one

GMT 19:06 2016 Saturday ,10 December

IOF Close Al-Nabi Saleh Village's Entrance

GMT 11:55 2017 Monday ,24 July

Scratch Stars Awards 2017 winners announced

GMT 15:22 2017 Saturday ,06 May

Wallpaper gives an extra glamour to the house

GMT 08:26 2014 Saturday ,08 November

Mainlanders' visits to Taiwan surpass 10m

GMT 07:53 2017 Wednesday ,08 November

After IS, Syrians in Deir Ezzor rediscover sunlight

GMT 14:08 2017 Tuesday ,21 February

Israeli Naval Forces (IOF) arrest five Gaza fishermen

GMT 09:17 2013 Sunday ,28 July

President Obama\'s radio address

GMT 07:42 2017 Wednesday ,08 November

Gunmen storm Kabul TV station in deadly attack

GMT 12:29 2018 Monday ,22 January

Saudi Arabia calls for oil producers
Almaghrib Today, almaghrib today
 
 Almaghrib Today Facebook,almaghrib today facebook  Almaghrib Today Twitter,almaghrib today twitter Almaghrib Today Rss,almaghrib today rss  Almaghrib Today Youtube,almaghrib today youtube  Almaghrib Today Youtube,almaghrib today youtube

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©

.almaghribtoday .almaghribtoday .almaghribtoday .almaghribtoday
almaghribtoday almaghribtoday almaghribtoday
almaghribtoday
بناية النخيل - رأس النبع _ خلف السفارة الفرنسية _بيروت - لبنان
almaghribtoday, Almaghribtoday, Almaghribtoday