
The Turkish government has given its formal approval for the United States to use the Incirlik air base in southern Turkey for raids against Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria, a foreign ministry official said Wednesday.
"The cabinet has signed the decree," the official told AFP, without specifying when the authorisation was given. "The (Incirlik) air base can be used (by the US against IS) anytime."
The accord came after months of tough negotiations between the two NATO allies that saw Washington grow increasingly frustrated over Turkey's reluctance to play a robust role in the international coalition against jihadists.
The decree signed by the cabinet authorises the implementation of an agreement between Turkey and the United States on the base that was thrashed out during a visit to Ankara by US presidential envoy John Allen earlier this month.
The cabinet has agreed to "implement elements agreed between Turkey and the United States," said the official. "The basis is there for the use of the facility," the official added.
The United States has long pushed for the use of the base in the campaign against IS jihadists in Syria due its location relatively close to Syria just outside the Turkish city of Adana.
Turkey's failure to let US planes use the base for raids against IS in Syria had caused severe irritation in Washington. But Ankara is now hardening its line against the group.
Turkey blamed deadly suicide bombing in a Turkish border town on IS and on Friday, Turkish warplanes for the first time bombed the IS targets in Syria.
The agreement comes as Turkey also takes military action against Kurdish militants in northern Iraq, a move some analysts see as tacitly approved by Washington in exchange for the Incirlik deal.
GMT 09:59 2017 Monday ,25 December
Turkey joins Russia and Iran in supporting SyriaGMT 09:05 2017 Monday ,25 December
Russia’s Lavrov calls on US and North Korea to start talksGMT 15:16 2017 Wednesday ,01 November
Spanish Police Arrest Moroccan Citizen Allegedly Belonging to ISISGMT 10:36 2017 Wednesday ,01 November
Manhattan truck attack kills 8, note on allegiance to ISIS discoveredGMT 20:15 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
Egypt backs Bahrain's security decisionGMT 19:59 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
Arab Parliament condemns terror attack in BahrainGMT 14:48 2017 Tuesday ,31 October
10 terror suspects sentenced to life in jailGMT 16:55 2017 Sunday ,29 October
Under US pressure, Israel delays move to expand Jerusalem
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Maintained and developed by Arabs Today Group SAL.
All rights reserved to Arab Today Media Group 2025 ©
Send your comments
Your comment as a visitor